Sunday, November 04, 2012

Still scrapbooking

Is it really November? The last couple of months have passed so quickly; it feels like summer was just a few days ago and now we are preparing for Christmas. I think I am ready for winter - I have a stack of crafty projects lined up and am looking forward to some rainy weekends that might give me the chance to work on some of them. I also have a big juicy pile of photos just waiting to be scrapbooked...
If this was a proper lifestyle blog, then I would have done a tour of my home by now and shown you lots of interesting details and carefully posed ornaments. A proper craft blog would have done a tutorial on crochet blankets and how to make your own candles. Since this blog is neither of these things, I don't have any of those to show you. The shameful truth is that I still have things in boxes and I buy my candles from gift shops. But what I do have - is a house that feels like home. Far more than anywhere else I've lived, and despite the fact that this place is rented, I've managed to make a space that works for me and feels unbelievably cosy. When I come in from work and close the door behind me - I am safe, warm and comfortable.


There is still a lot to do. Unpacking those boxes for a start. And maybe one day I will get around to putting something on the walls. In the meantime, I have come to realise that what makes a place 'home' for me is not stylish design or fancy furniture. It is about having a space that works for the things I love, that I can feel in control and comfortable in, and sharing it with people I care about. This house definitely feels like home.

No comments: