Friday, March 15, 2013

Adventures in scrapbook style

I've talked a few times before about attempting to change my scrapbooking style. I am trying to make it a conscious process - looking critically at other examples to see what I like, what I don't like, and considering how I can reflect that in my own pages. I think this has come about for a couple of reasons - firstly, feeling that my pages were beginning to look 'the same'. And secondly, looking at the wealth of new products that are out there and realising that I find some of them very hard to use because they didn't fit with the 'style' I thought I had. 


More than anything, I have realised this process is a work in progress. The page above took me far longer than one of my usual pages. Not layering and overlapping the papers makes me feel the page is very exposed, and I start to get super-critical about straight edges and neat borders. (It also makes it harder to get a straight photograph, but I promise you this is not wonky in real life). I found it really hard to decide where to put embellishments, and had to leave and come back to this page several times. Eventually, though, it all came together and I have ended up with a page I love and am so pleased to have in my album. I've made a few others in a similar style since this one, and each has come together a bit more easily. I am enjoying being a bit more adventurous.

No comments: